My book Why Religions Work explores religious tolerance issues. It could not be more relevant at the moment with the world in its present state.
This blog has concentrated recently on the wonderful pilgrimages I have been on - to the Holy Land and to Turkey and more recently to Holy Georgia , Greece "In the Steps of St Paul" , Ethiopia and most recently my experiences in Iran.

"If I was allowed another life I would go to all the places of God's Earth. What better way to worship God than to look on all his works?" from The Chains of Heaven: an Ethiopian Romance Philip Marsden

Friday 27 November 2015

Ethiopian pilgrimage


The Google Doodle when I fired up my computer on 24th November celebrated the 41st anniversary of the discovery of Lucy near a village called Hadar in Ethiopia - the unearthing of skeletal fragments which were to rewrite the story of human evolution.

The National Museum Addis Ababa
Just a few days before that I had actually visited the National Museum in Addis Ababa where Lucy's remains now rest. We were on another McCabe pilgrimage, this time to visit the famous rock hewn churches of Lalibela and to see much more that this wonderful country of Ethiopia has to offer, over eleven amazing days.
reconstruction of Lucy
It is no wonder that in July 2015 the country was winner of the World Best Tourist Destination for 2015 award and  receiver of the Favourite Cultural Destination Distinction for 2015 by the General Assembly of the European Council on Tourism and Trade(ECTT).

So many of the sites we would see are listed as UNESCO World Heritage Sites. Add to this the stunning scenery, fascinating culture and lovely people and this country should be on every traveller's list to visit.

one of many stunning windows in Trinity Cathedral
Addis Ababa





Over the next few weeks I will be sharing with you some of the stories of our travels illustrated as usual from my vast collection of photos from the trip. I hope you will enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment